18 for 2018: Anticipated Films
- Happytime Murders could be the next Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Melissa McCarthy costars with puppets in a Brian Henson directed mystery.
- The Predator is the sixth predator movie. This one is written by screenwriting superstar Shane Black, who coincidentally acted in the original predator. The cast looks incredible for this one.
- Mute is the new Duncan Jones movie. I love Moon and Source Code. I’m glad that he’s returning to his own stuff. I may even give his Warcraft a try this year.
- Holmes & Watson. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly together again. What more needs to be said?
- Alita: Battle Angel looks weird, but I like the source material a lot. And I’ll even cop to the Ghost in the Shell live action movie being a guilty pleasure.
- Annihilation is Alex Garland’s follow up to Ex Machina, which is a movie that I still think about regularly. Add Oscar Isaac in the mix again and I’m totally on board.
- Ready Player One is my current favorite book. With that in mind, I’m cautiously optimistic about the movie. It’s Spielberg so it’s in good hands, but I don’t know. I really love that book. Surprisingly, the trailer shows a lot of the pop culture references the flavor the book. That’s quite a licensing feat in itself.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story is another one I’m cautiously optimistic about. I think I would have loved a Lord & Miller Star Wars movie. Marvel letting James Gunn make a James Gunn movie set in the Marvel universe was a homerun. I wish Kathleen Kennedy would have let Lord & Miller make a Lord & Miller movie set in the Star Wars universe.
- Bad Times at the El Royale. Drew Goddard wrote it. He wrote Cabin in the Woods. I’m in.
- A Star Is Born. Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga? I unabashedly love the Kris Kristoferson/Barbra Streisand version of this. Like, I love it to the point where the soundtrack is on my iPod.
- Ant-Man & The Wasp because the first Ant-Man movie was so much fun. If the sequel has half the wit of the first one, this is going to be a blast. And Paul Rudd, right? He’s Paul Rudd!
- First Man is Damien Chazelle off LaLa Land taking a stab at a historical drama. I’m intrigued. Ryan Gosling, Corey Stoll, Shea Whigham, and Jon Bernthal. Those are some white guy powerhouses.
- A Simple Favor. Michigan native and my pen-pal Paul Feig takes a stab at a mystery thriller. Sarah Baker is in a supporting role. I think she’s a phenomenal actor who deserves way more work.
- An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn. Craig Robinson, Matt Berry, Maria Bamford, Jemaine Clement, Aubrey Plaza. That cast alone has me excited!
- Zeroville. I usually shy away from James Franco projects, but this one has Horatio Sanz as Francis Ford Copolla. Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Seth Rogen and Will Ferrell.
- The BBC Weinstein documentary. I am incredibly giddy that a light is being shined down on the dirty side of Hollywood. I think the most honesty that came from this is from screenwriter Scott Rosenberg who admitted to knowing, but turning a blind eye because the perks were good. I can no longer separate the art from the artist, which is a shame, because that means I can no longer enjoy pieces of art that I once loved.
- Juliet, Naked is adapted from a Nick Hornby novel. I really need to read his novels because I enjoy the movies based on them like Brooklyn and High Fidelity. This one stars the charming Chris O’Dowd, Rose Byrne and Ethan Hawke and it seems to be about the obsession of celebrity. I certainly have an obsession with the obsession of celebrity.
- The Cloverfield Movie. Chris O’Dowd will also be in the new Cloverfield movie which is cowritten by Oren Uziel, who also wrote on the really clever 22 Jump Street movie.
Posted on January 5, 2018, in Movie Madness, Uncategorized and tagged 2018, a simple favor, a star is born, alita: battle angel, an evening with beverly luff linn, annihilation, ant-man & the wasp, bad times at the el royale, cloverfield, first man, happytime murders, holmes & watson, juliet, Movies, mute, naked, ready player one, solo: a star wars story, the predator, weinsteain, zeroville. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment